SYLLABUS for forensics and list of lab materials
Unit 1: Ch 1 & 2 Observation skills and Crime Scene Investigation
- “Honest Lies” Article questions for YOU: Honest Lies article – questions
- “Building a Better Line Up” Article questions for YOU: Building a Better Line Up – questions
- building a better lineup article
- Practice vocabulary with online flash cards and crossword puzzle
- Click on WEBLINKS: Read about:
Making and breaking codes:
CHAPTER TWO: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION
What mistakes were made by the Boulder Police Department in securing the crime scene at the Jon Benet Ramsey house in 1996?
- Read Protecting the crime scene Article from Ch 2 and answer these questions: Protecting the Crime Scene Article questions
- Design a FLOW CHART about the Seven steps of a CSI (Know these steps in order!); you will have an open notes quiz from your flow chart on these steps and all relevent information
- Vocab Quiz-
- Read Ch 2-1 lab
- Know how to take the three types of photos: READ THIS: Crime Scene Photography
- Crime Scene Investigation Activity Directions
Ch 1 & 2 Review SheetCh 1 & 2 Review sheet
Unit 2: Ch 3 The Study of Hair & Ch 4 A Study of Fibers and Textiles
You need to bring your colored pencils, hair samples and fiber samples for this unit.
What is the scientific study of hair called???
Click here to Read about THE DEATH OF NAPOLEAN: (Read Ch 4,5,6 on this website.) Possible bonus questions: What 3 substances are believed to be the cause of Napolean’s death? Who is the main suspect for murdering him? What is his suspected cause of death?
Ch 3 Vocab Quiz
Info for Argumentative Essay: Forensics Argumentative Essay DIRECTIONS
ELECTRON MICROSCOPE - used to detect details at 50,000x
PHASE CONTRAST MICROSCOPE - used to detect details of translucent material
FLUORESCENT MICROSCOPE - used to detect dyes and other characteristics
MASS SPECTROMETRY - used to detect chemicals
NEUTRON ACTIVATION ANALYSIS -used to detect chemical
Use these link for additional resources for your Argumentative Essay:
Ch 4 Vocab Quiz
Read about the Wayne Williams and the Atlanta Child Murders case on truTV.com: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/williams/index_1.html
Read more about fabrics and fibers: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/july2000/deedric3.htm#Natural%20Fibers
Read about a Boston case solved by fiber evidence; see video: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/7841345/detail.html
Unit 2 Ch 3 & 4 Test
Unit 3: CH 6 Fingerprints
OPTIONAL ASSIGNMENT for EXTRA CREDIT: Complete this assignment on Latent Lipstick Prints and receive UP TO 30 extra credit HW points. This is DUE on the day of the TEST- FRIDAY FEB 8TH.
READ: Lipstick and Lip Prints
Read more about American Mafia: http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_168.html
Read about TAKING FINGERPRINTS: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/takingfps.html
You will have to bring in 2 items (bottle, bag, paper, etc) to retrieve a fingerprint from!
This is video timeline of the history of forensic science.
Case Study video: The Infallible Witness - A story of a murder solved by fingerprints.
Unit 4: Blood and Blood Splatter
EXTRA CREDIT OPPORTUNITY:OJ Simpson BLOOD Evidence Due Monday March 11th
The Serology Article does not open on the Cengage site so click here for the article:Serology article
Click here for more information about Blood Splatter patterns. You must know all of these for your test and lab activities.
Ch 8 Blood VOCAB QUIZ
3. Read these Chapters at TRU CRIME TV and answer these questions: Serology article questions from TRU CRIME
CHE 8 BLOOD REVIEW GUIDE FOR TEST: Blood review
Review Power points:Ch 8 Blood and Blood Splatter Review part 1 blood
Ch 7 DNA Fingerprinting
Ch 11 Death: Meaning, Manner, Mechanism and Cause